With confirmation that Josip Juranovic has joined Union Berlin in a deal that could be worth up to £10m we’ve now seen the first example of Ange Postecoglou’s transfer policy coming full circle.
Signed by the Australian for £2.5M, Juranovic leaves as a league winner and could net the club up to four times what they paid for him.
This is the right move for all parties.
As Ange himself says: “I don’t think there needs to be winners and losers out of this”.
In his place comes another World Cup star in the shape of Alistair Johnston, almost four years his junior and looking every bit the accomplished full back.
A similar strategy looks likely in terms of Giorgos Giakoumakis’ imminent departure, with a profit on his signing, and a younger striker taking his place.
Both players will leave with everyone’s best wishes but this is a new approach by Celtic – steered by Ange and Michael Nicholson – and it’s only going to see us continue to improve!
ALSO IN THIS EPISODE
- Celtic’s Puzzling Young Striker Situation
- Ange’s Influence on the Celtic Academy
- Kyogo To Smash The 30 Goal Barrier
LINKS FROM THIS WEEK’S SHOW
- Kyogo Furuhashi | Life In Glasgow (FIFA Feature)
- Sign Up For “Between The Lines” (Free Weekly Newsletter)
HELP US TO GROW THE CELTIC EXCHANGE
If you’re enjoying The Celtic Exchange help us to grow the show by:
1. Following the channel for free on your podcast player of choice.
2. Taking 30 seconds to leave us a five star review.
And if you want to enjoy even more from us on a weekly basis you can subscribe for our full range of additional content at The Celtic Exchange Plus.